A list of things MHG loved about The Oregon Trail:
- Choosing to be a "Banker" to get extra money at the start of the game.
- Deciding to leave Kansas in March only to be surprised when it snowed.
- Naming party members after your school friends and/or classroom crush.
- Setting a "grueling" pace and "bare bones" rations to conserve resources.
- Spending most of your money on ammunition and most of your days hunting.
- Passing a tombstone that contained swear words.
- Killing 1800 pounds worth of buffalo only to carry 100 pounds back to the wagon.
- Learning that one of your party members had died of Dysentery.
- Deciding to "ford" or "caulk the wagon and float it across" at every single river crossing. Why pay the Indian guide a few dollars when chancing it is so much fun?
- Realizing it's October and you're not even to Independence Rock.
- Reaching the Columbia River and floating the wagon on a raft, steering it down the river while avoiding rocks.
City Pages Minneapolis has a great story on the development history of this amazing game here. Thanks to Jessica Lussenhop for bringing back some good memories. For some good nostalgia, take The Oregon Trail quiz here.